https://www.chaoticafractals.com/dist/c ... v2.2.3.msi

Windows portable:
https://www.chaoticafractals.com/dist/c ... _v2.2.3.7z

Mac OSX:
https://www.chaoticafractals.com/dist/C ... _2.2.3.pkg

Linux:
https://www.chaoticafractals.com/dist/c ... 2.3.tar.gz

Hi guys, happy new year :)

This beta release fixes a GPU rendering bug which caused GPU rendering to look incorrect / different from CPU, as well as improving performance for really fast GPUs and adding support for Intel Arc GPUs. (Intel's Arc GPUs actually perform really well, however unfortunately don't support double precision at all :?)

There are also many behind the scenes updates to libraries and support code, full credit and thanks to Nick for those! :)

There is some performance optimisation to be done for the next release, and there's a chance for performance regression in older GPUs like GTX 970, so if you find any regressions please post here, thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:43 pm 

Happy New Year! Thanks for the update, will test it out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:35 pm 

Hi!

I did some tests with my GTX 970. DE speed dropped almost to half compared to ver. 2.2.2. There was some differ between different fractals, but average performance regression was about to half what it was before.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:44 pm 

:D Thank you for the update! I'm a new user. I just bought Chaotica last week! I'm looking forward to updating my software. I'm going to do it now!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

pjkfractals wrote:
Hi!

I did some tests with my GTX 970. DE speed dropped almost to half compared to ver. 2.2.2. There was some differ between different fractals, but average performance regression was about to half what it was before.

Hello, yeah the GTX 970 is in an awkward spot, because it's old/slow enough to not benefit from the new optimisations, and also because it's now rendering correctly (unlike before where it did not match CPU) the performance will be different, usually worse.

The next release I hope to regain some of that lost performance, it's an unfortunate situation because the way it was rendering incorrectly resulted in higher performance numbers :/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

Stacey Guenther wrote:
:D Thank you for the update! I'm a new user. I just bought Chaotica last week! I'm looking forward to updating my software. I'm going to do it now!

Hi Stacey, thanks for your support! If you'd like to hang out with others in the community, I can strongly recommend the Fractal Chats Discord server: https://discord.gg/5BvAx5gxdG

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:11 pm 

Fantastic :D just swapped out my "working" version today for this one. Nicely done lyc. Keep the updates coming!

I am compiling my feature requests here listed by priority and can compile more based on forum history and or post/email it elsewhere if needed. The list/number prioritization here is my own and no one else's.

1. Thumbnails of .chaos in-program and or with Windows (not sure if possible)

2. Rendering:
- Image prioritization. I often have multiple renders going at once, probably not best practice, but would be nice to prioritize which ones get more memory/rendering speed. I have a huge content queue and this would enable literally prioritization and render ordering of hundreds of undrendered works over time!
- Image export: exr and or png-24

3. Transforms: only load selected transforms. Ideally to allow better sorting and rendering speed/perf, also eliminate the need to manually add and remove plugin xml files from the plugins directory.

4. Selectors randomizer: Keyboard shortcut

5. Curves
- Save curve settings
- Hover/tooltip rgb value on node mouseover
- Larger editor area dialog (popup) for fine color work
- Number entry w scroll wheel capability for precision select node rgb value editing other than click-drag

6. Color work/Palette:
- Improved functionality - whatever you were planning plus maybe a rgb value tooltip/popup on mouse over node. For easy visual reference of number values without needing to look in the .chaos xml. Using the palette editor more as I find it superior to preloaded gradients in many ways, including negative and superpositive colors.
- Color profiles/Filters - idea, maybe find a way to work with the latest filter trends (like vaporwave, retro styles, duotone, invert, high contrast punch, faded, sepia, silver photo, monochrome, etc) and apply rgb conversions for saturation, luminance, and hue. Allow customizing/saving and reapplication of profiles as well separate of .chaos. Or maybe do this through Curves or the Shader randomizer depending on how you have built the program. Currently this is manual drag only, a bit tricky, and I think having this feature would really allow Chaotica to stand out among the fractal apps with its already superior color palette.

7. World editor:
- Reorder transforms (I know this probably doesn't matter for rendering order, but a great improvement for visual ui)
- Ensure some default transform names are not "new transform" and instead use transform type (loonie, etc)
- Manual number input zoom level for just affine grid (not camera or rendering window/viewport). Logic here is sometimes unstructured fractals see affine placement with extreme distance off 0,0 and it can become difficult to zoom or reposition, easy to get "lost". The manual zoom-drag is a bit limited and sometimes won't include origin in the window if you are far enough off course.
- Refocus on origin button
- Any other edit requests, including specific degree/15/30/45/90/180 rotations, scaling, reflecting, polar coordinates, etc etc

That's all for now, last edited 2.7 at 4pm.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:06 am 

Great, thanks for the update! I'm using an even older card (GT 730) and it seems fine so far, don't think there's a drop in performance. If anything it might be faster :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:25 pm 

Hi.
I would like to remind you of my earlier request for 16 bit/ch output. Please don't forget it. It is really extremely important for color grading and professional AV outputs. Thx.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:45 pm 

Cinematographer wrote:
Hi.
I would like to remind you of my earlier request for 16 bit/ch output. Please don't forget it. It is really extremely important for color grading and professional AV outputs. Thx.

I second the request for 16bit output please.

Also, need the palette functionality revamped a bit, not user friendly in my opinion (currently not how palette should be modified/altered in standard way)

Offline Profile