It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:16 pm 

It's at AA level 2, and as mentioned before I tried using the Ultra quality mode which crashed the software as well, I will take a screenshot as soon as I get home in a couple hours, this is running on a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit.

Does changing the height actually change the rendering dimensions and necessary RAM? It seems like it just stretches the square image.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:46 pm 

Here is a screen shot. I can print a screen shot of the task manager as well which shows that there is plenty of memory available. I have noticed however, if I unlock the aspect ratio and change the dimensions one at a time, then it seems to work at exactly these dimensions. So there is definitely something funky going on here.

Attachments:
insufficient memory.png
insufficient memory.png [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 15435 times ]
Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:45 pm 

You need about 4.6 GB to allocate the resolution above at AA2.
As you have 4GB RAM, chaotica is supposed to display an insufficient memory message and not render it. Which happens, excatly as expected.

Have you tried a 7020 x 4950 render at AA2 (no ultraquality)?
(if you have trouble resizing, check http://www.chaoticafractals.com/manual/ ... r_settings)

Whatever it seems to work/not work, please just post screenshots, else it did not happen. I have an impression you are just setting resolutions that your computer cannot handle, as you did on the screenshot above.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

What's the confusion here, by the way?

The error says insufficient memory, and yes indeed 4GB is hardly enough to run Windows 7 comfortably on its own, let alone render very large images with supersampling.

If you want to render such large and high quality images, you simply need to buy more memory. You would have the same problem in other programs if you tried to use more memory than you have.

I can promise you that there is nothing in Chaotica's code that goes "if the user has enough memory, just display an out of memory error to spite them." There simply isn't enough memory for that resolution on your computer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:00 pm 

I'm not really sure I understand how you came up with your numbers 4.6 GB can you please explain this? Because according to the rendering FAQ a 9930 by 7020 image should only use 4.2 GB at AA2. And as mentioned previously, I am able to render at the dimensions in the screenshot above at AA2 settings with exactly the same computer specs that I have had all along if I simply change the aspect ratio in a different order.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:45 pm 

siditious wrote:
I'm not really sure I understand how you came up with your numbers 4.6 GB can you please explain this? Because according to the rendering FAQ a 9930 by 7020 image should only use 4.2 GB at AA2.

There is a formula that gives an estimate of the RAM usage for any width - height - AA, but it is rather complicated and I prefer just doing the math myself and sharing numbers.

My answer is in accordance to the FAQ:
FAQ says 7020 x 9930 uses about 4.2 RAM
Your test: width 7680 and height 10031 - this is bigger than 7020 x 9930, so it uses more RAM too.
At any rate, you should try setting something SMALLER than 7020 x 9930? As it needs over 4GB RAM, your computer will not be able to handle such resolutions at AA2, no matter how hard you try - you either need a smaller resolution or AA1 or a better computer.

siditious wrote:
And as mentioned previously, I am able to render at the dimensions in the screenshot above at AA2 settings with exactly the same computer specs that I have had all along if I simply change the aspect ratio in a different order.

Please post screenies. Whatever you wanna report, post screenshots. There is no way i can figure out what is going on unless you post a screenie. Like, how can you keep the same resolution and "I simply change the aspect ratio"? It is not possible in my head - you either change aspect ratio or keep the same resolution.
Screenshots please, man. Seriously. It is no way to help you if you say "well, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesnt, it i sprobably broken or something". Screenies and specific numbers, like "it renders at width= 35242635 and height = 2563527 AA2, but fails to allocate histogram at width =3254236 and height = 234523626 AA2".

Offline Profile